Do you all remember that punishing exercise routine, P90X, that was all the rage not too long ago? The program involves training 6 days per week for a minimum of 1 hour per day. This is exercise to the extreme, which was sold to every Average Joe in the early 2000’s. Thinking back, this seems ridiculous, as the routine is not for “starters.” A lot of extremely hopeful individuals went from zero to P90 in mere days and nearly broke themselves.
My favorite comedian talks about this very thing. He bought
the DVD’s based on what he thought was the “after picture,” which turned out to
be the “before.” He was looking at himself and thinking that the “before”
looked pretty good to him and seemed within his reach. His comments are funny
and sad at the same time because they are so true. A lot of us look at the
promised results, the true “after” pictures, and if we’re really honest with ourselves,
those results are nearly unattainable. Isn’t it more realistic to try to look
better, rather than look like a fitness model? Or be healthy, rather than skin
and bones?
This whole situation troubles me. For too long I’ve compared
myself to how I looked in high school (which was damn good), in the hope that
by some stroke of divine intervention I would get back to that slim and trim hottie
I once was. I realize that thought is complete bullshit. There is no way in
hell I’m ever going to wear a size 2 again.
That is the “after.” I need to concentrate on the “before.”
It doesn’t mean I can’t try to get back to my skinny roots –
it just means that my goals need to be more realistic. Getting super-slim would
be an unexpected pleasure.
I’m not going to be funnier or more charming when I lose weight.
I’m not going to suddenly be more generous and delightful. (To be clear, I am already
all of those things, obvs.) I won’t instantly be richer, happier, and more
successful when I shed some pounds, BUT I WILL BE HEALTHIER. I will be able to
play basketball with Jameson, hike with Becky, finish the Barry Roubaix course,
and maybe even have sex again. (TMI.)
I made some big mistakes a couple of years ago. I went from
zero to P90 in a matter of days. I didn’t literally buy the program, but I
rushed right into some high intensity exercise and activities with my friends.
I was constantly comparing myself to them all, even though they were all
professional and / or accomplished athletes. I was down on myself because I
couldn’t walk as far, I couldn’t bike as long, and I couldn’t swim as fast. I
completely sabotaged myself and forgot all about how to enjoy just spending time
getting healthy and being with my mates. It was really stupid, very immature,
and completely unrealistic. I ended up burned out, fed up, and thoroughly
defeated. What a waste.
I think I’ve gotten a bit smarter these days, so…
If you see my walking slowly down the River Walk, feel free
to honk. If you catch me on my bike meandering on the Paul Henry, say hello as
you fly by. I’ll catch up, or I won’t, but I’ll enjoy my own pace.

first steps are always the hardest....it's great to have accountability and posting it on social media should help keep you on task. Lots of cheer leaders hoping you can play basketball with Jameson...
ReplyDelete